Objects of Substance- Wilkinson Banner
Initially, there were ten Houses, each with their own distinct colour. Five were named after Chairs of the Board of Trustees: Lilley, Griffith, Woolcock, Lockhart – Gibson (shortened eventually to Gibson), and England, while five were named after former Headmistresses: O’Connor, Mackinlay, Beanland, Wilkinson, and Mackay. Naming a House after Milisent Wilkinson was a perfect choice as she believed that, if girls were given an equal opportunity to play sport and participate in team activities, they would be given the opportunity to develop qualities like self-restraint, good fellowship when pursuing a common aim, the ability to take defeat in good part, and esprit de corps. (Head Mistress’s Report at the 1908 Speech Day). These are the very characteristics Grammar girls espouse to today, and what better way to nurture these qualities than in the heart and spirit of their House.
1964 Wilkinson House members
Made with FlippingBook - professional solution for displaying marketing and sales documents online