Objects of Substance- The Gymnastics Wall Bars

1962 Opening of the new Gymnasium

A significant upgrade to the School’s facilities occurred with the construction of a pool in 1960 and a

new gymnasium, built on the site of the original, in 1962, no doubt under the watchful eyes of the

Physical Education teachers, Noela Carr (1958) and Ruth Corfield. These facilities were to set the

tone for Physical Education at Girls Grammar for the next thirty years. This new, large open space

allowed the School to expand its offerings and reinvigorated the teaching of creative movement and

educational gymnastics with these Physical Education units built around three large sets of wall bars

[the unusual installation mentioned in the opening paragraph].

Made with FlippingBook - Online catalogs